Monday, September 8, 2008

World Changers?


I love stories. I love to watch people on the street and pretend I know what their lives must be like. Sometimes I will even verbalize those thoughts to Nick and we will laugh at the possible scenarios, but what is really special is when a story comes to life. The bible is full of great stories, people in crisis, feisty women and stubborn men, rebellious children, and examples for living a Christ-like life. Last Wednesday we witnessed a Bible story come to real life. Nick was teaching a children’s class and I was doing inventory in the Awana store with Cara, my commander partner. I finished before Nick and was waiting in his office when Joe Roy came in and asked me if I had keys to Nick’s truck.
“He has a flat tire, and I’m going to change it for him,” he explained.
I was reluctant to give up the keys because I thought Nick wouldn’t want Joe to do that, but he persisted and together we walked outside. He and a couple of other men started looking at the tire, the spare, and eventually the owner’s manual. There’s nothing like a crisis with a man’s truck to draw a crowd. I think before they were through, twenty people we standing in support of the tire changers. Soon, the spare was on, the flat tire was in the bed of the truck and the tools and manuals were back in their places. The Good Samaritan had come to life in our church parking lot.

Work in the ministry is a lot like sunscreen. People only notice it when it’s not there. Everyday countless actions are completed that go completely unnoticed by most people. Fortunately, most ministers do their work without expecting much in return, however, like everyone else, a little praise goes a long way. I thought Nick might be upset that I had allowed these men to change his tire, but I was wrong. As we walked back into the church, Nick was beaming, “I can’t believe those men did that for me. I feel so loved.” And to think I had almost denied him this little bit of praise.
So to Joe Roy, Jimmy Julian, Cecil Hayes, Walter Peterson, and Bucky Pinnell (and forgive me it I’ve left someone out) thanks for making Nick’s day. We love you!

No comments: